Did Howie Roseman steal a quarterback? What about Brian Westbrook’s historic postseason? And an insane Jordan Mailata stat.
It is this weekend’s version of Roob’s 10 random Eagles offseason observations!
1. Devon Allen has understandably gotten probably the most curiosity in relation to the Eagles’ 2022 crop of undrafted free brokers. However Carson Robust is an enchanting one, too. There are some apparent considerations with Robust. It is by no means a great signal when you have got two knee surgical procedures earlier than your twenty third birthday. There are considerations about how his knees will maintain up and whether or not he can transfer round sufficient to outlive within the NFL. However as an undrafted free agent? Earlier than his knee accidents he was anticipated to be a first-round choose. Then he went into this draft projected as a third-round choose. And the Eagles bought him for just about nothing. Robust this previous 12 months turned solely the eighth BCS quarterback within the final 20 years to throw 36 or extra touchdowns, eight or fewer interceptions, full higher than 70 % of his passes and cross for over 4,000 yards. He’s bought an enormous arm, he’s a sensible child, he’s bought nice measurement at 6-3, 225 kilos and his manufacturing at Nevada was off the charts. Now, he is nonetheless an extended shot. The final undrafted rookie QB to make the Eagles’ roster was Brad Goebel in 1991. The final undrafted QB to even throw a cross for the Eagles was Jeff Garcia. However I like the concept of protecting Robust round because the No. 3, giving him time to get wholesome and study the offense, and taking your time determining in case you have one thing. For those who do not? It prices you $ 320,000, which is a drop within the bucket in relation to discovering a quarterback. For those who do? You simply stole an NFL QB with out utilizing a draft choose. Howie being Howie.
2. How good was Mike Fast? Throughout the 4 years from 1983 by 1986, earlier than the Vet turf started ravaging his knees, Fast averaged 1,161 yards, 17.7 yards per catch and 10.5 touchdowns. No different receiver in Eagles historical past has ever had one season with these numbers. And that is what Fast averaged over 4 seasons. Finest in Eagles historical past.
3. Kenny Gainwell had 544 scrimmage yards and 6 TDs final 12 months on 101 touches and Boston Scott had 456 scrimmage yards and 7 TDs on 100 touches. They turned the primary NFL teammates in 69 years to every have at the very least 450 scrimmage yards and 6 TDs on 101 or fewer touches. The final teammates to do it had been additionally Eagles: Hal Giancanelli (477 yards, 6 TDs, 64 touches) and Don Johnson (666 yards, 7 TDs, 95 touches) in 1953.
4. I do not assume so Jaquiski Tartt is a distinction maker at security. He is bought 4 interceptions, two pressured fumbles and 4 sacks in 80 profession video games. However he does give the Eagles desperately wanted depth behind starters Marcus Epps and Anthony Harris. I nonetheless assume Rodney McLeod is healthier than each Tartt and Harris, and even at his age – McLeod turns 32 later this week – I’d slightly have him on the sphere than both of them. McLeod began off slowly final 12 months coming off that ACL tear, however by the tip of the season he seemed fairly good. I am additionally nonetheless undecided Harris or Tartt is a greater possibility than Okay’Von Wallace. We actually do not learn about Wallace but. With a great summer time I would not be shocked if Wallace strikes up the protection depth chart previous Tartt and perhaps even previous Harris.
5. It should be a fairly darn good offseason if all we are able to discover to complain about is a wordmark. What the heck is a wordmark anyway?
6. Within the 2006 postseason, Brian Westbrook ran 20 occasions for 141 yards within the wild-card win over the Giants and 13 occasions for 116 yards within the loss to the Saints every week later. That makes him the one participant in NFL historical past with consecutive postseason video games with 12 or extra carries and a 7.0 speeding common. Marcus Allen is the one different RB with two such video games in a postseason, however they weren’t consecutive. Allen (8.0) and Westbrook (7.8) are the one gamers ever to common over 7.0 yards per carry in a postseason with at the very least 30 speeding makes an attempt.
7. Jalen Hurts Stat of the Week: Hurts is the one quarterback in NFL historical past with 10 or extra speeding touchdowns and fewer than 10 interceptions in a season.
8. There are 32 fashionable large receivers within the Professional Soccer Corridor of Fame. Jordan Matthews had extra catches in his first three seasons than 31 of them. Randy Moss had 226 catches in his first three years, Matthews had 225.
9. No quarterback the Eagles are at the moment anticipated to face in 2022 gained a playoff sport in 2021. 4 of them misplaced playoff video games (Aaron Rodgers, Kyler Murray, Dak Prescott, Ryan Tannehill).
10. That is insane, however till 21 months in the past, Jordan Mailata had by no means performed soccer.