1. One of many weirdest issues in sports activities media for the time being, at the least to me, is Sage Steele suing ESPN whereas nonetheless working at ESPN.
Steele filed a lawsuit towards the community and its father or mother firm, Disney, in April, alleging that she was punished for feedback she made on Jay Cutler’s podcast, violating her first modification rights and her contract. (Steele instructed Cutler that ESPN’s vaccine mandate was “sick” and “scary.”)
Steele claims she was “sidelined” by ESPN after the looks, and ESPN claims Steele wasn’t punished as a result of she was nonetheless getting paid.
I simply don’t know how one can sue your organization and nonetheless present as much as work each day and I don’t know how one can be sued by somebody and nonetheless put them on the air each day. Clearly, there are contractual obligations right here, and like every thing on the earth, that is about moolah. However the awkwardness — on either side — could be an excessive amount of for me to deal with.
As if issues weren’t problematic sufficient, now particulars in regards to the Steele-ESPN relationship are being made public as a result of ESPN is in search of to have Steele’s lawsuit dismissed.
Among the many revelations alleged by ESPN:
- Halle Berry’s PR group didn’t need Steele to interview the actress on the 2021 ESPNW Summit after Steele’s look on Cutler’s podcast generated a lot controversy.
- The V Basis requested ESPN to take away Steele from her duties at a fundraising occasion due to “anti-science” feedback she made in regards to the coronavirus vaccine on Cutler’s podcast.
- Steele’s ESPN colleague NFL analyst Ryan Clark refused to work together with her.
Clark addressed this in a tweet after particulars of ESPN’s movement have been made public late final week.
Properly, that actually did not put the hearth out!
That is simply mere hypothesis on my half, but when I needed to guess, Steele in all probability needs to depart the community and the community in all probability needs Steele to depart, however there’s that little downside of contracts and cash that I discussed earlier.
ESPN’s movement states that Steele is signed with the community till 2024 and earns about $ 3 million per 12 months.
And that’s why Steele continues to anchor SportsCenter each day regardless of how uncomfortable it could be for either side.
Scroll to Proceed
2. Charles Barkley instructed Pat McAfee on Friday his philosophy what he’d do for large cash:
“I do not decide different folks. If somebody gave me $ 200 million, I would kill a relative. Hey, I am severe, Phil Mickelson acquired $ 200 million and Dustin Johnson acquired $ 150 million. Hey, for $ 150 million, I would kill a relative. Even one I preferred! ”
3. This was not a pleasant transfer by Phillies first baseman Rhys Hoskins.
4. Vince McMahon’s stunt to open Friday Evening SmackDown with a promo (that finally mentioned nothing) the identical day he was stepping away from the corporate after the WWE found alleged funds McMahon made to somebody he was having an affair with paid off within the scores. SmackDown was up 26% total, and 46% within the 18–49 demo. Something for a ranking within the WWE.
5. The NBA Finals is over, however Draymond Inexperienced remains to be taunting.
6. The newest SI Media Podcast options an interview with Paul “BizNasty” Bissonnette.
The media star talks about how he ended up getting the gig with TNT, what the tv expertise has been like for him and the challenges he faces doing a community tv present whereas additionally doing a podcast for Barstool Sports activities on the identical time.
Different matters mentioned embrace Bissonnette’s intense feud with Rangers followers, which gamers he’d wish to have on Spittin ‘Chicletswhich movie star could be his dream interview and why working for TNT has been top-of-the-line experiences of his life.
Following Biz is the weekly “Traina Ideas” phase with Sal Licata from WFAN radio and SNY TV in New York. Jimmy and Sal focus on Adam Sandler’s new film Hustle, the MLS – Apple TV + deal and the professionals and cons of summer season. The phase finishes with Jimmy and analyzing latest Apple opinions for the SI Media Podcast.
7. RANDOM VIDEO OF THE DAY: Comfortable seventieth birthday, John Goodman.
Make sure you atone for previous editions of Traina Ideas and take a look at the Sports activities Illustrated Media Podcast hosted by Jimmy Traina on Apple, Spotify or Google. You may also observe Jimmy on Twitter, Instagram and TikTok.