CLEVELAND, Ohio – Scribbles in my Guardians pocket book, together with stuff from the minors:
1. Since coming to Cleveland within the Francisco Lindor deal, Amed Rosario has turn into one among my favourite gamers. He received me over late within the spring of 2021 when he was requested to play the outfield – leaving his acquainted shortstop spot. He is ended up enjoying principally shortstop, however his perspective is commendable. So is his hustle. Alongside together with his good friend Jose Ramirez, Rosario runs onerous on every thing and performs the sport with the correct spirit.
2. A 12 months in the past, Rosario began sluggish and caught hearth in the midst of Could. After Could 11, 2021, he was a .300 hitter. He completed batting .282 (.730 OPS) with 11 HR, 57 RBI and was 13-of-13 in stolen bases. This season, it was chilly together with the climate. I picked that very same Could 11 date, solely in 2022. Since then, he is batting .301. General, he is as much as .270 (.660 OPS) with a homer and 16 RBI. He is 7-of-8 in stolen bases.
3. Rosario is a participant the Guardians may presumably commerce. He is solely 26. Andres Gimenez is the shortstop of the long run. Defensively, Gimenez is the superior participant. However Rosario has been strong this season at brief, solely two errors in 47 video games. The analytics website fangraphs ranks him No. 6 out of 12 beginning American League shortstops in protection.
4. Cleveland traded Lindor and Carlos Carrasco for Rosario and Gimenez earlier than the 2021 season. Final 12 months was a nightmare for Carrasco (1-5, 6.04 ERA and he battled accidents). He’s 7-2 with a 3.93 ERA. A superb man having 12 months.
5. As for Lindor, his general stats are OK. He is batting .243 (.739 OPS) with 10 homers and 49 RBI. These days, he is been slumping till driving in 4 runs Friday night time. He hit .282 in April. Since then, he is a .220 hitter. Since being traded to the Mets, he is a .234 hitter (.730 OPS). He batted .258 (.750 OPS) in 2020, his last season in Cleveland. He isn’t been the identical All-Star caliber participant for 3 years. He has 9 years and $ 300 million left on his contract.
6. Then there’s the 23-year-old Gimenez, trying like a younger Lindor. He is batting .309 (.865 OPS) with seven homers and 31 RBI. Supervisor Terry Francona stated Gimenez simply wanted to cease making an attempt to tug the ball like Ramirez. As soon as Gimenez did that, he thrived. Francona additionally stated Gimenez is likely one of the few gamers he is ever seen who performs second base and shortstop at a really excessive degree. He is an rising star and is a superb deal for Cleveland – given the ages and contracts of the gamers concerned.
7. The principle motive Rosario has not performed extra outfield is Steven Kwan has claimed left subject. Myles Straw patrols heart and for now, Oscar Gonzalez is in proper. The Guardians additionally like Richie Palacios within the outfield.
8. Now, the prospect half. Will Brennan is the present model of Kwan, an outfielder who caught the crew’s consideration within the minors a 12 months in the past. The 24-year-old lefty hitting outfielder is batting .327 (.896 OPS) between Class AA and AAA this season. He has 5 homers and 57 RBI in 56 video games. Like Kwan, Brennan was a university participant when drafted (Kansas State). He would not strike out typically (32 instances in 247 plate appearances).
9. Followers have been listening to about George Valera for a number of years. He is solely 21 and he is hit some monstrous homers at Class AA Akron. General, he is hitting .292 (.911 OPS) with 11 GB. Since Could 1, he is knocked in 34 runs in 37 video games. The lefty hitter with the fast bat may very well be within the 2023 Cleveland outfield.
10. Followers even have been wanting the Guardians to commerce for a catcher. I doubt that may occur, at the very least for the long run. At Class AA Akron, Bo (brother of Josh) Naylor is hitting.276 (.913 OPS) with six homers and 21 RBI. He is 22 and was Cleveland’s first-round choose in 2018. Naylor batted solely .188 at Akron in 2021, and is now figuring it out. He is additionally defensive catcher.
11. As you have a look at the stats for Naylor, Valera and anybody else from the Class AA Jap League, contemplate that 10 of 12 groups in that league are batting .237 or much less. In the event you hit nicely within the Jap League in your early 20s, you’re prone to attain the majors and have some success.
12. Take into account these names: Owen Miller, Cal Quantrill, Josh Naylor, Austin Hedges and Gabriel Arias. All these gamers got here to Cleveland from San Diego within the Mike Clevinger deal. However there’s yet one more! He is Joey Cantillo, a 22-year-old lefty with a 3-3 report and a couple of.25 ERA at Class AA Akron. He is struck out 71 in 48 innings!
13. For Clevinger, he is pitched solely 19 innings (3.79 ERA) for the Padres this season. He missed all of 2021 with Tommy John elbow surgical procedure. This season, he is had knee and triceps issues. He simply got here off the disabled listing.
RECENT TERRY PLUTO COLUMNS